Saturday, October 2, 2010

A journey of a thousand miles

Working on software always makes me think of the old adage that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Keep that in mind as you're reading this blog; progress is measured in an hour here, an hour there, one tiny detail at a time, until eventually it all comes together as something really interesting and powerful.

Today brought three tiny steps. First off, I have a cursor! It's a little hand, and you point the finger at whatever it is you want to click. Second, not only did I get the cursor into the game, I even got it to track around the edge of the game window if you move the mouse out past the window's boundaries. And third, I got my generic green dude to move around when you hit the arrow keys.

So, tiny steps, but all of them are vital in their own way. Tomorrow I'm going to continue working on floor tiles, but that one's more complicated because I'm working off of some nicely generic sample code that incorporates a ton of math, so doing anything involves a whole lot of (re)learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment