Sunday, November 14, 2010

Map viewer, stage 1!

I've been fighting a particularly annoying cold the last few weeks and haven't gotten a lot done on the game, but the cold appears to be letting up and I managed to be productive today. Here you can see the map viewer/export app that'll go out with the regular game, allowing you to view your map and export it as an image file. The idea here is that if you come up with a really neat dungeon, you can export the map, print it out, and use it as a D&D dungeon. Not necessarily the most amazing feature ever, but hey, I'm excited about it.

It'll have a few handy features, such as being able to choose the scale (the screenshot I posted has it defaulted to ~ 1cm per grid square), the ability to choose whether to draw a grid overlay and whether you want the grid overlay to have a slight glow around it, and even the ability to set colours for the grid overlay. That stuff's already basically done. Before my trial release in a few weeks, I'm going to add the ability to specify floor, wall, and outline colours, as well as specify whether the grid (or even just the grid but not the glow) show show overtop of floor tiles.

The user interface is a little ugly right now, but don't worry, I'll clean that up soon. Like everything else about the game, I'm starting with a quick hack job and then refining it based on how it actually works out.

So that's it for this week... On the agenda for next week, I need to think some more about a save/load game menu, and I need to refine the exporter. And at some point soon, I'm going to have to make the monsters walk around the dungeon, although he won't be animated -- he'll just teleport from one square to the next for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment