Monday, December 6, 2010

Wait just one second here...

Some more random things to show off today... As you can see, I moved the monster info bar to the bottom of the screen. I'm eventually going to move it over to pretty much right beside the minimap, then there'll be some controls beside it. Hard to explain, really, especially since I don't have the details worked out. It'll make sense in the end, I promise.

Other little changes include an adjustment to the texture on top of the walls to make it a little less weird, and some invisible tweaks to some of the rendering code.

Other than that, not too much to WAIT WHAT IS THAT BLUE GUY OH MY GOD A HERO HAS INVADED MY DUNGEON AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

(I'm easily amused.)

Yes indeed, I now have heroes invading the dungeon. Well, appearing inside the dungeon periodically, which is kinda similar. They don't do much, or anything for that matter, and they and the monsters don't interact with each other in any way either. So it's early days.

The next little while is going to feature some serious design work. Most of the time when I'm coding, I find I'm most productive if I just hack things in and then clean, tidy, and polish the code until it's no longer shameful. In some cases, though, that approach just leads to problems, and this is one of those cases. I need to stop coding and start planning, because that'll save me weeks of wasted effort later.

This, by the way, is one of those things that programmers tend to learn through experience. Bitter, frustrating, experience.

I don't actually expect this design phase to go too long; with any luck, by the end of the weekend I'll have the next chunk of code underway, where the heroes and the monsters are both moving semi-intelligently and attacking each other when they see each other. Fun for the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment